AbbVie’s science-based targets to lower emissions
To build a more sustainable future, we’ve set ambitious emissions reduction targets that are in line with the Paris Climate Agreement. Our targets, which have been validated by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), include:
- Reducing absolute scope 1 and 2 CO2 emissions by 42% from a 2021 base year
- Reaching 100% sourcing of electricity from renewable sources
- Ensuring over 79.1% of suppliers (by emissions covering Purchased Goods & Services, Capital Goods, and Upstream Transportation & Distribution) will have science-based targets
See our Carbon Reduction Plan
In our determined effort to reduce carbon emissions, we are:
- Establishing absolute emission reduction goals
- Setting aggressive goals to increase the amount of renewable energy we consume
- Investing in technology, infrastructure and processes that increase energy efficiency and use cleaner energy sources
- Incorporating energy efficient design into the construction of our new facilities
- Expanding the use of electric and hybrid vehicles in our fleets
Access to clean water is crucial for human health, and we are committed to using water responsibly. To help protect this vital resource, we have set an ambitious goal to halve our absolute water withdrawal by 2035 compared to our 2015 baseline.
As a pharmaceutical company, we recognise the importance of minimising waste and using appropriate disposal methods for both hazardous and non-hazardous waste alike. In managing waste, we have set a goal to achieve zero waste to landfill by 2035.
We use external partnerships and standards bodies to increase our accountability, help guide our environmental actions and drive collective action that no one company could achieve on its own.
We monitor our operations to ensure that the manufacturing, use and disposal of our products does not adversely affect people or the planet. Our ongoing research efforts aid our understanding of issues surrounding pharmaceuticals in the environment—insights which will guide our future decisions.
Our suppliers are expected to champion our environmental protection efforts with us. As part of our supply chain management programme, we assess the environmental stewardship practices of key suppliers and their processes.
June 2023 | UK-ABBV-230279